Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hash #1392 - Icon Bar or Restaurant or Washing Bay

Hares: Aima Aima
Venue: Icon, so this place is a real multi-tasker, restaurant, bar AND washing bay??
Date: August 2nd, 2010

The jam in Katwe is so bad that even boda bodas get stuck.  That is the lesson I learned on my way to the Hash on Monday.  Arriving just a Hashers were heading on out, Blow Back was nice enough to run with me until we joined up with the group somewhere on the other side of Entebbe road.  The hares took us through Katwe, Nsambya and Makindye, treating us to some nice hills following the Jinja Relay and even gave us a beer stop in there.  The "villagers" were quite amused with us running through the markets.  Being one of the muzungus on the hash, I'm pretty used to being shouted at by now but one of my favorite things is when Ugandan hashers are heckled.  Now most of the time I can't tell what they're saying but I can tell who they're shouting at.  Some of the crowd favorites are; Perry Mason - I'm pretty sure this is because of the tight shorts he wears, or maybe because of his amusing gait.  When the FRBs run through I'm pretty certain (though I only hear it when there's a hook or check-back) the locals squeal with joy.  Then there are the old guys like Pisser, Landlord and the Hash Master himself who get a rise out of the communities - I'm sure they're wondering, how can that old guy be running through here like that.  Then there's the Itching Thighs, Wide Load and Sunset Stripper who get a different kind of rise out of the crowd.

I have misplaced my notes on this one so I'm going from memory which, in my case, is not so good but hell, it has to be better than last year's trash!

We started out the circle with some results from the weekend's activities - The 5th Annual Jinja Relay!  (see previous post for complete results)  We also recognized some of the mercenaries from City Tyres and Team Waragi, in so doing, we realized that the mercenary from City Tyres needed a hash handle, most hashers were quite in favor of the handle "City Cuban" so that's what he was baptised.

There weren't any notable new-comers but there was a returnee - Off-Layer made her return, supposedly from making babies, though I'm starting to think that that is some kind of stock answer - EVERY female returnee has been making babies!!  but, then again, Uganda's birth rate is among the highest in the world...

Chatterbox was chosen and it was found that he didn't actually have a hash name, though this scribe has been calling him Small Balls as he is Big Balls' younger brother.  Disappointingly, the hash democracy did not choose Small Balls for his handle as we "already have too many balls." (how could this possibly be true?!)  Instead, he was given the totally boring (mostly because I don't understand it) handle of "Mud Hole."

Another memorable moment of the evening was when someone pulled a woman into the circle for new shoes - this woman was not wearing running gear and her shoes were the sort that you might see worn by pole-dancers or burlesque entertainers... she was CLEARLY not a hasher but she was actually a good sport.  She had just come to enjoy an evening at her local pub, walked in and was dragged into a circle of rowdy strangers, was made to take off a shoe and drink beer out of it and not only did she not protest, she did it with a smile - now if this lady wasn't meant to be a hasher, I really don't know who was.

Hashit on the other hand was wholly unmemorable so, yeah, sorry!

The next hash is (was) at the Spot After in Ntinda and will be (was) hared by Mupakasi.  The psychic in me feels that this run will have a lot of hilly check backs for the runners and a very, very well deserved beer stop.

On! On!

Solar Erection

2 comments:

  1. pse tell me how I can join you every monday for the hash!! I am so desperate to find the group and neither the main KH3 page nor fb has this info...thank you much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hash is at a different location every Monday a 6pm (sharp!) On Monday August 23rd, the hash will be starting from and finishing at Pope Paul Memorial Center. Hope you can join us!

    ReplyDelete